Monday October 20 2008

Latest Transfer Stories

Ronaldo focused on future
Brazilian striker reveals offer from Italy

Brazilian striker Ronaldo is adamant he is not considering hanging up his boots and has revealed that he has received an offer from an Italian club.

Ronaldo is close to a return to fitness following a knee injury, and the free-agent striker is looking to secure a new club after being released by AC Milan at the end of last season.

The record goalscorer in the history of the World Cup has been linked with Manchester City and Paris St Germain as he nears his return to competitive action, but there have also been fears that he could be forced to retire.

However, Ronaldo - who has won the Fifa World Player of the Year on three occasions - insists he still has plenty to offer.

"I want to stop playing when I decide, not because I have been forced to by an injury," he told Trip.

"In the book of my career there are still a lot of blank pages to write upon, and I want to finish while scoring goals."

Ronaldo has also confirmed that he has been approached by an unnamed side in Italy, but he will not be returning to the San Siro.

He added: "There's an offer from an Italian club, but it's not Milan."

Asenjo to decide future
Valladolid starlet considering options

Real Valladolid are ready to listen to offers for goalkeeping starlet Sergio Asenjo - who admits he will make a decision on his future in December.

Manchester United have a long-standing interest and reports in Spain have suggested that the Red Devils want to conclude a deal this January.

United had Asenjo watched during the recent European Under-21 qualifier double-header against Switzerland.

He is understood to have impressed and now United are looking to broker a deal for Asenjo - who is valued at around 4million by Valladolid.

19-year-old Asenjo, who currently has three years left on his current deal, was tracked by Liverpool last year - but they had a bid rejected, whilst the player shunned interest from Spurs over the summer.

Now United will look to seal a deal, but they have been warned they will not get him on the cheap.

"We are open to the subject but only with our financial conditions," a Valladolid source told

"Sergio is a big player and we are not open to offer a gift to any club."

The player himself admitted he was flattered by the interest being shown in him with the likes of Barcelona, Valencia and AC Milan also said to be keen.

"They are some of the biggest teams in Europe," he told Notre de Castilla.

"It would make me proud if any were to be showing an interest in me.

"If at the end of the season the club or my representatives tell me there is a possibility then we will see.

"In December my representatives and I will decide on what decision to take.

"I am doing a good job and the coach has confidence in me which is helping me to play well. That is the reason other clubs are looking at me.

"At the moment my first choice is Valladolid, neither my representatives or my club have told me about anything concrete, I'm just concentrating on training every day and playing for Valladolid."

Asenjo admitted that he holds the Premier League in high esteem.

"The Spanish league is for me the best in the world. Alongside it, I believe the English is becoming stronger every year," he continued.

Asenjo is widely tipped to make Spain's World Cup squad in two years but despite his good performances at Under-21 level, he refuses to look that far ahead.

"There are many players who are trying to prove that one day they could be in the Spanish team, but for now my head is not looking at that.

"If I perform well - then there is the possibility."

Star's shock at Celtic interest
Bhoys eye in-form Czech midfielder

Czech ace Pavel Zavadil has reacted with shock after it emerged that Celtic have been watching him.

The midfielder is currently plying his trade for Orgryte, on loan from fellow Swedish side Oster.

The 30-year-old former Sparta Prague and Banik Ostrava man has enjoyed stints in Israel and Greece before he arrived in Sweden in 2006.

Zavadil has impressed with Orgryte, helping them win promotion to the top-flight, and Celtic used the last game of the season to dispatch a scout to check on him.

"What? They were here to look at me?" a shocked Zavdil told the Gothenburg Post.

"Celtic? I really can't believe it."

Former Aston Villa striker Marcus Allback, who scored twice against Vasby United at the weekend to help Orgryte seal their promotion, is also rumoured to be a target for The Bhoys.

The Swedish ace is highly unlikely to be keen on a permanent move away from his homeland, but could be lured away on a tempoary basis.

Roberts set to stay at Yeovil
Midfielder to turn loan into permanent arrangement

Crewe Alexandra midfielder Gary Roberts is poised to complete a permanent move to Yeovil Town.

Roberts joined Crewe's fellow League One strugglers on loan in August and was due to stay at Huish Park until the end of December.

However, a nominal fee has now been agreed between the two clubs and Crewe's first-team coach Steve Holland expects the deal to be finalised later this week.

"Yeovil are keen to keep Gary and we have come to an agreement to allow him to do that," Holland told the club's official website.

"That was always our intention and I'm sure something will be concluded later this week, after the game on Tuesday night.

"There will be a small fee involved and a sell-on because I have always thought he was a players capable of playing at a high level.

"He lost his way a bit here, but he is still a very good footballer. I'm sure the move to Yeovil will serve him well."

Roberts has scored once in nine games for Yeovil, but will have to sit out Tuesday's game when Crewe visit Huish Park.

Hayes clinches Robins move
Winger could be involved against Tranmere on Tuesday

Cheltenham Town have completed the signing of Leicester City winger Jonny Hayes on a month's loan.

Hayes linked up with the Robins on trial last week and has now secured a temporary move to Whaddon Road.

The youngster has not featured for Leicester this season and spent a spell on loan in League One at Northampton Town last term.

He joins Leicester team-mates Lathaniel Rowe-Turner and James Wesolowski at Cheltenham, now managed by former Foxes boss Martin Allen.

Hayes, who joined Leicester from Reading in 2007, could be involved in the Cheltenham squad for Tuesday's game against Tranmere Rovers.

Lee chasing Hornets deal
Keeper states case by saving two penalties against Southampton

Watford goalkeeper Richard Lee is hoping to earn a new contract as he looks to make the most of his chance in the team.

Lee is in the final year of his deal at Vicarage Road and is currently in the team after Mart Poom was ruled out for up to six months.

He saved two penalties in Saturday's 3-0 win at Southampton and the 26-year-old is eager to prove his worth to Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd.

"This chance came out of the blue and I had to make the most of it," said Lee in the Daily Mirror.

"Hopefully I'll now get a run in the team. It's been a bit of a stop-start season, and it's a big season for me because I'm in the last year of my contract.

"This is a tough place to come, so it is very pleasing to win as comfortably as we did.

"I've never saved two penalties in a game before apart from a shoot-out. I don't think I've ever faced two in a game before."

Suarez Bhoyed by Celtic
Barca starlet keen on Scottish switch

Barcelona starlet Jeffren Suarez has told that he would love the chance to play for Celtic.

The Venezuelan-born winger is part of Barca's first-team squad after being promoted from the B squad by coach Pep Guardiola in pre-season.

However, he is yet to make his La Liga debut and is being tipped to make a January switch to Parkhead.

Celtic have very good relations with Barca having taken Marc Crosas from the Camp Nou in the summer.

Now The Bhoys are lining up a deal for Suarez and also Sylvinho - who has already stated he is very much up for the move.

Suarez has now joined Sylvinho in declaring his interest in joining the Scottish champions.

"I have some chances to play for Celtic and it would be an excellent destination," he told

"I have spoken with Marc [Crosas] and he told me that there is an excellent atmosphere at the club in all aspects."

Suarez's agent is his father and he added: "We have spoken with Barca and [Pep] Guardiola and they accept he can leave.

"We expect more to happen in the next few weeks."