Tuesday October 21 2008

Latest Transfer Stories

Tevez still wants United deal
Argentine also keen to partner Rooney again up front

Carlos Tevez is eager for Manchester United to quickly reach a permanent deal as he looks to be reunited with Wayne Rooney in attack.

The Argentine attacker is currently on a two-year loan deal at Old Trafford, which expires at the end of the season.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admitted over the weekend that he is 'quite confident' the champions will conclude a permanent deal for Tevez.

Reports have suggested Real Madrid have shown an interest in Tevez, but the player is keen to stay with United for the long term.

"All I'd like is that my rights are bought completely by the club and that my family and I can be sure we are here for years to come," Tevez told The Sun.
Tough competition

Tevez has recently found himself out of United's starting line-up, with Ferguson electing to pair Rooney with summer signing Dimitar Berbatov.

Ferguson is toying with the idea of playing all three against Celtic in the UEFA Champions League on Monday, and Tevez admits he enjoys playing alongside Rooney.

He added: "I knew when I came here there would be really tough competition for places, given that United already had Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne and Nani.

"But Alex always had total belief in me and told me so.

"There was all this nonsense about how myself and Wayne couldn't play together, but we showed everyone. We have a perfect, intuitive understanding on the pitch, plus we get on brilliantly as pals.

"Give Wayne half a metre of space and he'll pull out a brilliant goal. Wayne does amazing things, even when he has next to no space.

"As soon as I played with him, I copied his movement and explosiveness away from defenders, as there is far less time or space when you play for United than I've ever experienced."

Morecambe go for new Edge
Ex-Seasiders keeper joins Morecombe on short-term deal

Morecambe have bolstered their goalkeeping options after signing Lewis Edge on a two-month contract.

The 21-year-old shot-stopper had been without a club following his release by Blackpool over the summer.

Edge is set to go straight into the Morecambe side that faces Brentford with regular back-up Scott Davies unavailable.

At the end of the 2006/07 season he was named Blackpool's Young Player of Year, but a first-team run failed to materialise.

Edge, who made three first-team starts at Bloomfield Road, had loan spells with Rochdale, Bury and Northwich Victoria.

Moyes - Vaughan to remain
Toffees boss to keep striker at club for time being

Everton manager David Moyes has no plans to send striker James Vaughan out on loan at the present moment in time.

The highly-rated 20-year-old has recorded six Premier League appearances so far this season, since returning from a long-term knee problem.

Moyes holds Vaughan in high esteem and, while he may offer him a loan move in the future, he is delighted to have his ability at his disposal.

"Maybe that [sending him on loan] will be something that we think about in the future," Moyes told the Liverpool Echo.

"But, at this moment, this is the best place for him. We need him at the minute.

"The squad isn't strong enough or big enough to let him go away. But, much more than that, he is a type of player we don't have at the club.

"That's why I'd prefer it if he stays with us.

"But if I got to the stage where I think it would benefit him, I might send him away. For now, though, we want him with us."

Prem sides target Austrian ace
Giant striker could move in January

Red Bull Salzburg striker Marc Janko is a target for several Premier League clubs, according to his agent.

The 25-year-old has been to stunning form for both his club and his country this season and his 14 goals in just 13 Austrian Bundesliga matches have now drawn the attention of five Premier League teams.

"We have had talks with three of them," Janko's agent Georg Stangassinger told Salzburger Nachrichten.

"One club has already relayed its interest in writing. If everything works out things might take a step forward by the winter."

Stangassinger refused to reveal which clubs were interested in Janko, but the player is known to be interested in a move to England.

Red Bull sport director Heinz Holzhauser admitted that he would be prepared to let Janko move on, but only if the price is right:

"Any player topping the goalscoring charts in such a dominant manner and has the stature that Janko has, is bound to be a wanted man in Europe's top leagues," he said.

"Janko is our most prominent player and means a lot to the club.

"He is just reaching his peak. He certainly won't come cheap for any other club."

Henderson eyes loan move
Striker keen to be playing regularly

Northampton striker Ian Henderson is hoping to win a loan move away from the club in a bid secure some regular first-team action.

The former England youth international has found himself down the pecking order in Stuart Gray's plans at Sixfields this season.

The 23-year-old, who has played in the Premier League with former club Norwich, is frustrated with his lack of opportunities after only featuring in three games so far this season.

Henderson is now targeting a loan switch away from the League One outfit so that he can get valuable action under his belt.

"I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Northampton, but for one reason or another I am not playing in the side," Henderson told skysports.com.

"Every footballer wants to be playing and I am no different.

"I would definitely consider going out on loan to try and get some games."

Henderson's agent Jesse Learoyd-Hill has confirmed they will now weigh up the forward's options.

"I can understand Ian's frustrations at not getting games on a regular basis," said Learoyd-Hill.

"Ian has a good pedigree and we will sit down and discuss his options and decide what might be best for him."

Castillo stays at City
Mexican move falls through

Manchester City's Nery Castillo has seen a move back to his native Mexico fall through.

Castillo is on loan at City from Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk - but he does not feature in Mark Hughes's plans.

The 24-year-old had been in talks about agreeing a loan move to Guadalajara in time to take part in their Copa Sudamericana campaign.

However, despite an agreement between City, Shakhtar and Guadalajara - the deal could not be completed before Monday's deadline for the Sudamerican.

"There was no time to register him with the Conmebol. We couldn't do it in

such a hurry," his agent Juan Carlos Padilla said.

"There was good will from Guadalajara, Shakhtar and Manchester City but we couldn't do it.

"Nery spoke to Nestor (de la Torre, Guadalajara president) and confirmed he would like to move back home soon. But we have to analyse every offer."

Killie look at Italian striker
Jefferies eager to see if Vignaroli can make his mark

Kilmarnock have offered former Lazio striker Fabio Vignaroli the chance to win a contract at Rugby Park.

Vignaroli is currently a free agent after leaving Greek side Panthrakikos and was recommended to Kilmarnock boss Jim Jefferies by ex-Hearts midfielder Stefano Salvatori.

Jefferies is keen to assess Vignaroli in training to determine whether the 32-year-old merits a chance in the SPL.

"Stefano is the source we got Manuel Pascali from," said Jefferies in the Daily Record.

"Fabio has good pedigree and good experience. We'll have a look at him in training this week.

"There's no point bringing in someone of his quality if he's not going to play every week and right now we have players in that position who are doing extremely well.

"So we'll see how he does and if there's a situation where he could do a job for us."

Bees bring in Robins stopper
Townsend keen to play regular football

Barnet have signed defender Michael Townsend on a month's loan from Cheltenham Town.

Townsend has made 13 appearances for Cheltenham this season, but has been allowed out on loan by new boss Martin Allen.

He will go straight into the Barnet team for Tuesday's League Two clash with Wycombe Wanderers and he is looking forward to his stint at Underhill.

"I am delighted to be joining up with Barnet," Townsend told the club's official website.

"Martin Allen has come in and taken the reins at Cheltenham and tells me he wants me to play some games to get some match practice at League level rather than reserve games.

"I am relishing the opportunity."

Meanwhile, Cheltenham boss Allen has also sent Gavin Caines on a month's loan to non-league side Forest Green Rovers.