Wednesday October 22 2008
Latest Transfer Stories
Milan confirm Beckham bid
Short-term loan deal in offing for midfielder
Beckham: Milan offer
AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has confirmed the club hope to sign David Beckham on a short-term loan.
Beckham is trying to find himself a club in Europe to train with while the MLS season takes a break to maintain his fitness for international duty with England.
A number of clubs have been linked with the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star, but Milan are leading the race for Beckham's signature.
"Beckham wants to train and play with Milan," Galliani told Corriere Della Sera.
"We want him. He will arrive in January and we will sign him for the rest of the season.
"It's not just a shop window deal, it's a great deal. He will be avaliable for Ancelotti for Serie A and the Uefa Cup.
"Football today is not just about tactics and technical abilities. It's about full stadiums and sponsors. No-one can beat the 65,000 fans we had on Sunday.
"The stadiums will only fill up with superstars like Beckham who has asked Milan for hospitality, not another club.
"With him, Kaka and Ronaldinho, it would be a dream team."
Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti has welcomed the prospect of Beckham joining the Rossoneri.
"For me it will be a pleasure, Beckham is a serious athlete, a great professional," Ancelotti told the club's official website.
"If he is available for four months with us, we will be very happy."
The 33-year-old is still under contract with LA Galaxy but Milan are prepared to sign him until the MLS season resumes.
Amoah admits English lure
Eredivisie top scorer would take Premier move
Matthew Amoah, top scorer in Holland, has told skysports.com that he would jump at the chance to move to England.
Amoah has played a huge part in helping NAC Breda to the top of the Eredivisie.
His goalscoring exploits are now attracting interest from across the North Sea and a number of English clubs have sent scouts to check on him.
Dutch sources claim Everton and Middlesbrough are paying particular interest to the Ghanaian who has fired home ten times in NAC's first ten games of the season.
Amoah has now admitted he could not resist the lure of the Premier League.
"Who is not looking to play in the Premier League?" Amoah told skysports.com.
"All top players want to move to England - it is the best right.
"I am waiting to hear from my agent but I know there have been enquiries from two clubs, but they have to agree a price with my club.
"I am scoring, so people will be interested me."
Amoah, who arrived at Breda from Borussia Dortmund last year, has just under two years left on his current deal.
Chase on for Benitez
Ecuadorian wanted in England
Ecuadorian starlet Christian Benitez is set for a move to England in January, skysports.com understands.
The highly-rated forward is currently playing in Mexico for Santos Laguna - who he helped to the league title this summer.
22-year-old Benitez, who has already hit double figures in just short of 20 games for Ecuador, is being tracked by a host of English clubs.
South American sources have confirmed that Benitez is ready to move in January, with Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wigan, Birmingham and Reading all ready to battle it out for his services.
Benitez, who was recently named the best Ecuadorian playing outside his country ahead of the likes of Wigan's Antonio Valencia and previous winner Edison Mendez of PSV, has been watched by a host of European clubs over the past six months.
Crvena Zvezda, Villarreal, Sporting Libson and Benfica are all known to have enquired about Benitez in the last 12 months.
McLeish keen on Quincy deal
Blues boss likely to add to squad in January
Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish is keen to extend Quincy Owusu-Abeyie's loan until the end of the season.
Owusu-Abeyie is currently on loan at Birmingham from Spartak Moscow until January, but there is the option to extend the deal.
Blues also have a permanent arrangement in place for the end of the campaign, if the former Arsenal youngster continues to impress.
The 22-year-old has already expressed his wish to stay at St Andrews, and McLeish admits he is likely to retain the midfielder.
McLeish recently told Givemefootball, the official website of the Professional Footballers' Association, regarding an extension for Owusu-Abeyie: "It's what we're looking to do.
"If Quincy gives us what he's been giving us in the last couple of games, and he can even improve on that, then he will be a real threat to any defence."
Looking at players
McLeish, who signed Nigel Quashie on loan before Tuesday's win over Crystal Palace, is also looking to improve his squad further in the January transfer window.
He added: "We're looking at a lot of players, but we've not specifically got an out-and-out No.1 choice.
"Loans, we could do. There's a couple of situations where loans could be up for grabs."
Norwegian trial for Harte
Former Sunderland defender training with Valerenga
Ian Harte has linked up with Valerenga on trial following his release by Sunderland.
The Irishman is currently a free agent after he was let go by the Black Cats at the end of last season.
He has spent time training with Wolves and Sheffield United in recent months but is still searching for a fresh challenge and has now headed to Norway.
The experienced left-back will stay with the club for seven days in a bid to earn a contract.
"He will be here for one week," Valerenga coach Tor Ole Skullerud told TV2 Sport. "So we will see."
The 31-year-old Harte had nine years with Leeds at the start of his career before moving to Levante in 2004.
He was signed by Sunderland in 2007 but spent just one season at the Stadium of Light.
Shrimpers keep Royals duo
Federici and Robson-Kanu to remain at Roots Hall
Reading have agreed to extend the loan deals of Adam Federici and Hal Robson-Kanu at Southend.
Australian keeper Federici has excelled during his time at Roots Hall, standing in for the injured Steve Mildenhall.
Teenage striker Robson-Kanu has also impressed with the League One outfit, helping the Shrimpers climb into sixth spot in the table.
Steve Tilson is understandably delighted to have secured the services of the duo for the immediate future, with the club keen to build on their promising start to the campaign.
The Southend manager said: "Adam will be staying with us until the FA Cup game at the start of November which he won't be allowed to play in.
"We have also taken Hal for a further 27 days which is the maximum we are now allowed to do."