Thursday October 23 2008

Latest Transfer Stories

Robins bring in Westlake

Whites midfielder seals Whaddon Road switch

Cheltenham Town have bolstered their midfield options with the addition of Leeds United's Ian Westlake on loan.

The former Ipswich Town man recently linked up with The Robins and even played in a reserve game, although they failed to thrash out terms with Leeds.

However, the paired have now concurred on one-month deal for the 25-year-old, who is well down Gary McAllister's pecking order.

Westlake spent time with Brighton last season and is yet to be involved with Leeds' senior side since McAllister's arrival early in the year.

As Leeds tackle Cheltenham a week on Saturday The Whites have inserted a clause in the deal meaning Westlake will not be able to feature against them.

PNE keen to keep St Ledger

Chairman eager to extend defender's contract

Preston chairman Derek Shaw has moved to allay fears that highly-rated defender Sean St Ledger could leave the club next summer.

The centre-half is in the final year of his current deal at Deepdale but North End have the option of keeping him for a further 12 months.

They will exercise that right and Shaw said he is hoping to tie St Ledger down to a new longer-term contract.

He told the Lancashire Evening Post: "In Sean's contract, there's a clause written in which allows us to extend it for another year.

"That has to be taken up by a certain date in January, it could be done today or tomorrow if we want, and rest assured we won't be missing that January deadline.

"What we are trying to do at the moment goes beyond that 12-month extension - we'd like to negotiate a fresh contract for much longer.

"There are a lot of people working very hard at the moment to get Sean tied up to a long deal here, but these things rarely happen overnight."

Ince - Leave us alone

Rovers boss tired of transfer speculation

Blackburn Rovers boss Paul Ince has blasted the speculation surrounding the future of several of his players.

The Rovers chief has had to contend with rumours suggesting the likes of striker Roque Santa Cruz could leave Ewood Park.

Paraguay international Santa Cruz has been linked with a transfer to Manchester City and, most recently, Aston Villa.

Ince has strongly denied the reports and has now demanded that the rumour mill 'picks on another club'.

He told the Lancashire Telegraph: "I accept that the nearer we get to the January sales, people will put all this rubbish in the papers.

"We've said before that Roque has signed a new four-year deal - he's come out and said he loves it here.

"There was a load of rubbish that he might be joining Manchester City. It was exactly the same when people wrote about Carlos Villanueva.

"People want to write untold lies and I really don't know why they do it. I don't know why they just don't go and pick on another club.

"Since I've been here, everyone has been trying to put Blackburn down, saying that my players want to go or that they are unhappy."

Mullins to fight for future

Midfielder waits on chance to impress Zola

Hayden Mullins has vowed to fight for his place in the West Ham side despite being linked with a move away from Upton Park.

The 29-year-old has found first-team opportunities hard to come by since the arrival of Gianfranzo Zola.

The news has alerted a host of clubs to Mullins' possible availability with former Hammers boss Alan Pardew thought to be keen to lure the midfielder to The Valley.

Mullins has played down the rumours and says he is willing to wait for his chance to impress Zola

"For me its just a case of waiting for a chance to get back in," Mullins told the Echo.

"When the manager came in we was on the back of some good results and we were fourth in the league. I wasn't first choice then.

"Since he's come in we've had two good results - the Newcastle and Fulham games - but it was a blip against Bolton so there was no need for him to change it really.
Knocking on the door
"I'm just knocking on the door and if I get my chance I've got to put in a performance."

Mullins added: "I haven't spoke to him personally as yet because he's got to get his feet under the table first and get to know everyone.

"I don't really want to go and knock on his door and ask why I'm not playing. It's just a case of waiting for my chance.

"Hopefully it'll come soon. If I get my chance I have to take it, and if I don't we'll have to see where that leaves us."

No offers for Huntelaar

Striker confirms interest but no official bids

Ajax striker Klass-Jan Huntelaar has revealed he did not receive any concrete offers during the summer transfer window.

The highly-rated Dutchman has been linked with a number of clubs from around Europe - including Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Real Madrid.

Abu Dhabi United Group-backed Manchester City were also rumoured to have made a deadline day enquiry for his services.

Huntelaar explained that there was interest during the previous transfer window but a formal offer was not made.
Unnamed club

He said on Sky Sports News: "No (I had no offers). There was some interest and they were looking. But a real offer was not there."

Asked if he would name who 'they' were, he replied: "I don't talk about it."

Huntelaar is set to lead the line for Ajax on Thursday evening when they tackle Aston Villa in the Uefa Cup.

He added: "You want to show yourself in every game. That is normal. It is nice to play in England, there is a good atmosphere."

Costa dreams of Real move

Brazilian keen to play at Bernabeu

Highly-rated Brazilian playmaker Douglas Costa has admitted that he would love to play for Real Madrid one day.

The 18-year-old starlet has been monitored by several leading clubs in Europe including Real and Manchester United.

He currently plays for Gremio in his homeland and is under contract until 2013, but admits he is flattered by Real's interest and would be keen to move to Spain.

"Of course, I would like to play for Real Madrid," Costa told Marca.

"Despite the fact that I owe everything to Gremio it would be fantastic and a great honour to be able to play in the Santiago Bernabeu.

"I am delighted that a club the size of Real Madrid have shown an interest in me. I am proud and it proves that I am doing things the right way.

"It is not normal that a club like that is watching a player like me, with so little experience at the top level.

"I hope to repay their interest one day by playing in the white shirt."

Manchester United already have one former Gremio player in their ranks in Anderson, while Ronaldinho is arguably the club's most famous export in recent years.

Bantams bring in Clarke

Huddersfield defender joins Bradford on loan

Huddersfield defender Tom Clarke has joined Bradford on a month-long loan deal.

The versatile 20-year-old has come up through the ranks with the Terriers and made his debut in 2005.

The following year he suffered ligament damage in his left knee and has since struggled to regain his place in the Huddersfield side.

He spent time on loan at Halifax in February and has now been sent out again to get some more games under his belt.

Bantams boss Stuart McCall could decide to hand Clarke his debut in Friday night's clash with Grimsby.