Latest Transfer Stories
Sunday October 26 2008
Larsson: Looking for more challenges at 37-years-old
Larsson looking for move
Experienced striker could be heading back to the Premier League
Henrik Larsson has hinted that he is looking for one more big move before he hangs up his boots.
The 37-year-old's contract runs out with current club Helsingborgs of Sweden in December and Larsson, who has enjoyed spells with some of Europe's leading clubs including Celtic, Barcelona and Manchester United, is keen on a move.
He told Helsingborgs Dagblad: "I know I am in a good position and I am not going to be late to use it."
Clubs such as Tottenham, Everton, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven were all rumoured to be after the Swede during the summer and many are getting ready to make the striker an offer during the January transfer window.
Some clubs are even believed to have already come up with concrete offers to Larsson's agent Rob Jansen such is the demand for the ex-Celtic man.
Larsson added: "I know there is a big interest and I am in a great position. It's not only a matter of money, but also the challenge."
Hammers eye Spanish striker
Scout runs rule over Xerez marksman
West Ham have been linked with a January swoop for Spanish striker Antonito.
The Premier League outfit sent a scout to watch the 30-year-old Xerez striker play against Las Palmas on Saturday.
It is the second time West Ham have had Antonito watched this season, and The Hammers are also thought to be interested in Las Palmas striker Marcos Marquez.
The 30-year-old is currently the top goal-scorer in the Segunda Division, Spain's second tier, while Antonito has had top-flight experience with Sevilla, Racing Santander and Recreativo Huelva.
"I've heard the rumours but I still haven't spoken to anybody about it," said Antonito.
Xerez are currently suffering some financial problems and it is thought they would be willing to cash in on Antonito during the winter transfer window.
Hughes rules out Ronaldo
City boss says no to Brazil legend[/color]
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has ruled out the possibility of signing Brazil legend Ronaldo once and for all.
It had been thought the former AC Milan, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona striker could join City once he regains full fitness.
Ronaldo is currently looking to improve his fitness after battling back from a long-term knee injury suffered early in the year.
However, Hughes says regardless of Ronaldo's fitness the 32-year-old will not be joining the Premier League outfit.
"Ronaldo is not an option," stated Hughes. "It doesn't matter whether he proves his fitness.
""I'm surprised that he says he wants to come here, but I don't want him and that's my decision."
Palace keen to keep Beattie
Blackpool boss happy to take point
Crystal Palace assistant manager Mick Jones has revealed the Eagles are looking to extend Craig Beattie's loan from West Brom.
Beattie and Paul Ifill twice gave the visitors the lead in their 2-2 draw at Blackpool, only for Ben Burgess and Ian Evatt to restore parity on both occasions.
And Jones confirmed after the match that Neil Warnock was planning to hold talks with the Baggies over extending Beattie's stay at Selhurst Park.
He said: "Craig wants to stay with us. He doesn't want to sit on the West Brom bench."
The match was played in atrocious weather on the North West coast, but home boss Simon Grayson and Jones felt their respective teams did as well as could be expected.
Blackpool manager Grayson said: "In the first half we did not play as well as we can. We did not get the ball on the floor and knock it around.
"However that was a pretty difficult thing to do when you could pass it 30 yards and the ball would come 20 yards back to you.
"We missed some clear-cut chances but at least we were creating those chances, earlier in the season that was not the case, we had too many blank score sheets."
Palace assistant Jones said: "It was not a bad game considering the appalling conditions.
"There were a lot of mistakes but the boss is happy with a point. Not many teams will come here and win and this has been a good week for us with two matches away from home.
"I thought we were still in with a chance of snatching a victory even in the last few minutes because those mistakes were being made and that is why we did not string people across the back and play out time for a draw."
Genoa rubbish Owen talk
Italian outfit have no intention of moving for England international
Genoa have strenuously denied reports that they are interested in signing Michael Owen.
The Serie A side were rumoured to be interested in taking the Newcastle striker to Italy next season.
The speculation is believed to have emanated from England, but Genoa owner Erico Preziosi insists there is no truth in the story.
"We have never thought about him," he said.
Preziosi acted in order to prevent the club's supporters from expecting a high-profile transfer to go through.
Genoa insist they have no desire to bolster their firepower at present, having re-signed Argentina international Diego Milito from Real Zaragoza over the summer.
Milan can make room for Becks
Ancelotti confident England midfielder will fit in
Carlo Ancelotti is confident he can find room for David Beckham in his already star-studded AC Milan line-up.
The former England captain is in talks over a proposed loan move to the Serie A club from the Los Angeles Galaxy in January, with the MLS side not requiring his services until March.
Ronaldinho, Andriy Shevchenko and Kaka are just three players already in Ancelotti's ranks, but the Milan coach believes there will be a role for Beckham to fill.
"Beckham is a great footballer and he can play anywhere," he told the Gazzetta dello Sport.
"He can play in the centre of midfield or on the wing. Champions are resources, never problems."
Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso would also welcome the arrival of Beckham, even if his position could be under threat.
"It is never a problem when a club decides to enlarge its squad," he said.
"The way I see it is this: the arrival of Beckham shows the desire by the club to have an even stronger squad."
And Ancelotti is not hiding his desire to win the Scudetto this season after falling under the shadow of their city rivals Inter Milan in recent years.
"Our first aim is to play well," the coach said. "With the quality players we have got, there is an obligation to provide a spectacle.
"The owner (Silvio Berlusconi) does not like winning narrowly, maybe with a single goal in the break - he demands a spectacle. And then we want to win the Scudetto."
Ancelotti was reluctant to discuss his future beyond the end of the season, although coaching away from Italy remains an option at some stage of his career.
He is contracted to the Rossoneri until 2010 and another crack at the UEFA Champions League next season remains a priority although he admits he has several other ambitions he would like to fulfil.
"I would like to lead one of the African nations at the 2010 World Cup," he revealed.
"I took part in the 1986 and 1990 World Cups as a player and in 1994 as assistant to (Arrigo) Sacchi and there is a fascinating atmosphere which I would like to experience again.
"Africa is producing talented players - players from that continent have great technical and physical resources. Maybe they are just lacking a bit of organisation, but maybe I can arrive and put things right, no?"