Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News in brief of Barclays Premier League club - Thurs 20th

Uploads

News in brief of Barclays Premier League club - Thurs 20th

wigan athletic

Half season tickets are now available for supporters. For just 149, adults will be able to watch nine Barclays Premier League home fixtures as the Latics take on Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal on home soil. That's less than 17 per match, and there are also great prices for children and concessions. For more information, visit the club's official website.

Uploads

Re: News in brief of Barclays Premier League club - Thurs 20th

West Ham United

Craig Bellamy has revealed he had an input when it came to West Ham team-mate Jack Collison opting to play for Wales. Collison, who has made six appearances for the Hammers first team, made only his second start for Wales in the international friendly in Denmark. "He asked me to put in a word and I rang (Under-21 coach) Brian Flynn straight away and (manager) John Toshack," Bellamy said. "Flynny came to watch him training, I picked him up from the airport and took him to our training ground to see Jack. Now he's one of us. I'm not just delighted he's playing at West Ham and with Wales, I'm delighted for him because his attitude is brilliant. I see him back at the training group in the afternoons doing weights, practicing. Even if he wasn't Welsh I would love to see him do well." Bellamy scored the only goal as Wales beat Denmark 1-0.

Uploads

West Bromwich Albion

Tony Mowbray believes the next six weeks could go a long way to shaping Albion's season. The fact the Baggies are currently propping up the Barclays Premier League gives a somewhat misleading picture as there are only three points separating the bottom nine sides. Overall the Hawthorns manager has been pleased with his team's performances, but feels it is crucial his men rack up some points against the likes of Stoke, Wigan, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Manchester City and Tottenham between now and the New Year. "Maybe the run of games we've had since the start of the season has been bad," said Mowbray. "Let's hope we can continue along the vein of games where we feel we should have taken points and those in which we actually have. We'll have a much clearer gauge over the next six weeks. If we're sitting here in six weeks saying we lost here and there I'll be disappointed. Whereas, as I sit here today, I still don't feel too overly disappointed because I feel there aren't too many games that we've let slip away."

Uploads

Tottenham Hotspur

An MRI scan has revealed that Luka Modric has suffered a partially torn groin muscle. The Croatia international was forced off with the injury at half-time in Saturday's match with Fulham and is expected to be sidelined for up to two weeks.

Uploads

Sunderland

Sunderland's reserves beat Blackburn 4-0 to win for the seventh time in eight league matches this season to extend their lead at the top of the table. Jamie Chandler, David Meyler, Jack Colback and Rade Prica scored the goals as the Black Cats dominated in Hetton, especially in the second half.

Uploads

Stoke City

Tony Pulis admits the absence of Jamaica international Ricardo Fuller for the match against West Bromwich this weekend will be a big blow. Fuller will miss the match after collecting his fifth yellow card of the season in the 5-0 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford last Saturday. "I think Ric has been the difference between the two teams over the past two years," Pulis said. "So he will be a massive miss for us and we are disappointed. But we will have to get on with it."

Uploads

Portsmouth

The club insists their dream of moving to a new waterfront stadium by 2011 is still alive despite new plans for the project looking certain to face a full public inquiry. Bankers who have been approached to finance the 100million-scheme have told the club there must be a significant retail element alongside the 36,000-seater ground and housing in order to attract the necessary cash. Pompey have gone back to the drawing board and changed their new stadium plan to include shops, a hotel and supermarket. But Portsmouth's city council fears the changes to the proposed site at Horsea Island would be seen as a threat to city centre businesses. Pompey's executive chairman Peter Storrie said: "We have obviously changed plans. The credit crunch has created that. At the moment we are in discussions with the city council about the fact that we have to have retail on the site. Without that it's just simply not going to happen. We need the council to get behind us and support us on this." Storrie still hopes a planning application will be ready to go before the council early in the new year after talks between the club and planning officials.

Uploads

Newcastle United

Jose Enrique has revealed how happy he is at the club. "I want to complete my contract," he said. "I have still got a few years left and I want to play an important part in getting the team back to where it deserves to be. I am very happy here. I like the city. The fans are 10 out of 10."

Uploads

Middlesbrough

Emad Meteb's agent has rejected speculation of fresh interest from Middlesbrough. Meteb, who almost joined Bristol City last summer, has been strongly linked with a switch to England in January. But Nader Shawki said: "There is no offer from Middlesbrough for Meteb. I have been in England for a month now and no-one from Middlesbrough spoke with me about that matter." Meteb is currently on loan in Saudi Araba from Al Ahly.

Uploads

Manchester United

Dimitar Berbatov had a miserable night on international duty, picking up an injury as Bulgaria were hammered 6-1 in Belgrade by Nemanja Vidic's Serbia. Berbatov seemed to be feeling a hamstring when he was substituted after half an hour and could be a doubt for United's match at Aston Villa on Saturday. Ex-Villa forward Savo Milosevic scored two goals - after missing two penalties - on his 102nd and final cap for Serbia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast