Murdoch gets Carey

Chris Forrester

Despite a contract that had until the end of next year to run, Chase Carey is to leave DirecTV and join News Corp as president and COO, in effect Rupert’s non-family deputy. News Corp confirmed the announcement late on June 3.

Carey will be rejoining his old boss on July 1, seamlessly taking over from Peter Chernin who steps down at the same time. The decision to let Carey go without a fight was taken at this week’s DirecTV board meeting.

The appointment marks a return to News Corporation for Mr. Carey who spent 15 years as a senior executive at the Company before becoming Chief Executive Officer of The DIRECTV Group in 2003, said a News Corp statement.

“Chase has been one of my closest advisors and friends for years and I am delighted we’ll once again be working together across our businesses as we face the challenges and great opportunities ahead,” said Murdoch.

Carey said: “Under Rupert’s leadership, News Corporation has always been the boldest, most innovative media company in the world. With its leading franchises, News Corporation’s growth opportunities are second to none and I am thrilled to be returning at such a transformative time for our businesses across the globe.”